- aged 7-17?
- enthusiastic about climbing?
- NICAS level 2 (or equivalent standard)?
- willing to commit to an ongoing training programme?
Come and join The Reach climbing wall's youth squad!
We're all about encouraging committed young climbers to
- develop and excel as climbers
- have fun climbing
Our Youth Squad coaches...
- Matthew has been climbing since the 1980s (when Ron Fawcett was a Master on the Edge and wore the ‘short’ shorts).
- After a career in the Army, Matthew became an actor and also qualified as a Drama Teacher for Key Stage 4 and 5, where he specialised in Special Educational Needs provision.
- In 2009 he found work at The Reach Climbing Wall during the ‘Build’ phase; and since then has worked on many projects within the Youth Provision spectrum.
- Matthew runs the more ‘social’ groups that are looking for a more relaxed, fun session. Climbing competitions are great, but they are not for everybody – and there is nothing wrong with coming climbing to ‘feel’ good.
- Matthew subtly weaves the odd interesting fact into his lessons. People come away from his sessions with a little bit more knowledge in Numeracy, Literacy, Physics, Biology or Geography, often without realising it. Everything is related back to climbing – but there’s space in Matthew’s sessions to ‘take the next step up’ mentally and psychologically as well as physically.
- Most important to the sessions, beyond the safety factor, is that the participants are aware of the progress they are making.
- The ‘Mind Game’, and overcoming ‘fear’ can be big challenges to many climbers. Matthew has worked with a wide range of people on these issues, so if the ‘inner mountain’ is the obstacle, then his session can help.
- Barry has been involved in climbing as an instructor since 2001.
- He enjoys all aspects of climbing, both indoors and outdoors, particularly enjoying introducing novices to this enjoyable activity.
- His view on climbing is that it should be open to all.
- Barry’s role within the Youth Squad is to deal with intermediate climbers – bridging the gap between the less experienced and the more advanced groups.
- The emphasis is on progression through enjoyment and participation.
- The atmosphere tends to be quite relaxed on Barry’s sessions. It’s quite hard to stop him breaking into song.
- Graham has over 20 years of experience in Sport Climbing, Traditional Climbing and Bouldering in the UK and Europe.
- He is one of our most experienced instructors, delivering sessions within the BMC and MLTE guidelines.
- He will work with you to improve your performance, encouraging and motivating you to reach your full potential.
- He is also a very experienced multi pitch climber and rigger, he knows the ropes and knows his knots, and is happy to share what he knows.
- Graham’s Youth Squad focuses on:
- Climbing and Training Safety
- Technique Training
- Physical Training
- Performance Training and Competition Fitness
- Psychological Training
- Creating and Implementing Training Programs
Paul & Matthias
- Matthias and Paul will work as a pair. Each week they will instruct groups separately, but participants will move between these groups from week to week.
- Paul has coached climbers for over 10 years and is the author of (the soon to be bestseller?) “Perfect Technique for Climbers”.
- Matthias has been climbing for 10 years and has been instructing for more than a year
- Paul and Matthias focus on:
- Technique and Efficiency, helping you to improve your grade, but also to climb as effortlessly as possible
- Improving your route reading and on-sighting of climbs – beneficial for competition climbing
- Fostering of positive team spirit, sharing advice and tips, supporting and encouraging one another
- If you are aged 13+, you should be climbing 6b and have aspirations of climbing harder
- If you are aged 7+, you should be committed to climbing twice a week